The digital Xpress-E-12T fires to 2000°F (1093°C)*. Create breathtaking jewelry or small keepsakes in silver clay, enameling, china painting, glass, lost wax casting, or bronze clay. Since the kiln opens from the front, it is ideal for copper enameling.
Imagine the glass you could sag, slump, and fuse with this kiln. Make small bowls, pendants, earrings, cufflinks, and even bracelets. Enjoy the glittering beauty of dichroics. This kiln will give you years of creative enjoyment.
The Xpress-E-12T comes with the Sentry Xpress digital controller mounted in the kiln base (instead of a side switch box) to save table space. The kiln includes a door safety switch that turns off the element when the door is opened. The controller automatically resumes firing when you close the door.
The Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on the Xpress-E-12T
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold. Experiment with Hold to improve color saturation of china paints.
- Add Hold Time during firing without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature displays throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C.
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
The Xpress-E-12T heating element, exposed in dropped, recessed insulating firebrick grooves, is easy to replace if ever necessary. The 2 1/2” thick firebricks store plenty of heat for slow cooling through the glass annealing range. For small glass pieces such as jewelry, you can anneal without having to turn the element back on during cooling. (If extra heat is necessary to anneal large pieces, that is easy. Just program a slow cooling segment in Ramp-Hold mode.) The firebricks store heat for quick temperature recovery after removing a copper enameling piece.
The thermocouple is protected with a high-nickel stainless steel sheath for long life. A switch on the front panel turns off power to the controller when the kiln is not in use.
Unlatch and open the door with one hand; the latch operates so smoothly that delicate copper enameling or silver clay pieces remain undisturbed while opening or closing the door. The door opens smoothly on a heavy-duty 1/2” hinge shaft. No extra stand is needed; the built-in base stays cool even during extended hold times.
The interior is large enough to fire a 10” bronze clay container. A vent hole in the top, complete with tapered vent plug, is designed for lost wax casting. You can also vent combustible cork clay and other fillers used with silver clay.
The Xpress-E-12T can ship by UPS. Enjoy lower shipping cost and faster service. Specially designed cartons and foam padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
Paragon kilns are built to be dependable. They are loaded with attention to details, such as the costly nickel-plated copper wire with high temperature glass-braided insulation. Wires are fastened to the elements with heat-dissipating connectors refined and proven over many years in Paragon kilns.
The Xpress-E-12T has a durable high temperature, water-base finish. We chose water-base paint because of the low emissions during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on air pollution.
Paragon kilns are made in America by skilled workers.
Becky Johnson, a glass teacher in Dallas, Texas, describes opening a kiln to see the freshly fired glass: “I like to open the kiln with my students so that we can review and admire each other’s treasures together. The transformation of the glass inside the kiln is magical and mystical. It changes from pieces of arranged cut glass to awe-inspiring art. To be some part of that process is a true gift.”
“Paragon kilns just go on working forever,” said Jeff Zamek, author of “What Every Potter Should Know.” He added, “Paragon kilns have one of the lowest incidences of repair of any kiln manufactured in the U.S.”
*The standard Xpress-E-12T is rated to 2000°F (1093°C). If you need to reach 2250°F (1232°C), specify either the 240 volt version or 3” thick firebricks instead of the standard 2 1/2” thick firebricks. (Please add $20.00 retail to the 3" brick version. The 240 volt kiln is the same price as the 120 volt.) Please contact us for details.
Thermocouple with “special limit” wire
The thermocouple senses temperature inside the kiln. It is the small rod that extends into the firing chamber. The ¼” wide Type-K, 14-gauge, exposed-tip thermocouple is made with special-limit wire for superior accuracy. The exposed tip gives the controller a fast response time for even temperatures during holds. The thermocouple is made in America to our exacting standards.
Designed for production
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
Paragon kilns are warranted to the original purchaser by Paragon Industries, L.P. (herein Paragon), subject to the listed exclusions below, to be free of defects in workmanship for the periods specified below. The warranty period begins from the date of shipment from the Paragon factory unless the date of the original purchase from an authorized Paragon distributor or dealer can be established.